Private Pilot Level (PPL)
What you need to know:
- PPL students can start to log hours towards their licence at the age of 14 and they must be 16 years old before they take their first solo flight.
- The UK Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL) is a comprehensive course that will take a minimum of 45 hours to achieve.
- You will need to pass a medical test to ensure that you are physically safe to fly. This must be carried out by a specially qualified medical examiner.
Why Tayside Aviation?
For over 50 years we have trained pilots. Our experienced team will lead you through various stages at a pace right for you. Our fleet of 20 light aircraft and our 20 experienced Flight Instructors will give you the confidence to soar.
The PPL training structure involves a three-stage approach:
1: The Basics
- The very basics of how the aircraft and controls work.
- Practicing in the airfield circuit where you will learn how to take off, land the aircraft, become familiar with airfield operations and the use of the radio.
- When you and your instructor feel that you are ready, then you will aim for your first solo flight.
- Includes planning, visual and radio navigation, Air Traffic Control communication, practice diversions, emergency procedures and operations at commercial airports.
- This will include flights away from the local area and once you are confident you will carry out a solo cross-country flight of 150nm taking in three different airfields.
3: The Test
- You will get an opportunity to review all your learning so far and go through a “mock” PPL skills test to ensure you are confident and have reached the required standard for the full PPL skill test.
- During the course of your training towards a PPL you will be required to sit nine exams in the following subjects:
- Air Law
- Operational Procedures
- Human Performance and Limitations
- General Navigation
- Principles of Flight
- Flight Planning and Performance
- Aircraft General Knowledge
PPL with Tayside Aviation, either full-time or part-time, includes our web based ground school system, in partnership with Padpilot.